On Saturday July 27 2002 10:02 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I ask about the bugs in the beta then had to leave town
> for a few days but did have time to wonder since I,m
> useing 8.2 can I do a upgrade booting from the CD-ROM are
> is it better to do a clean install. JOE

   A fresh install is always the better option, often less time
consumming and better results than a (theoretically maybe possible)
upgrade. 'Sides, it's probly time to do some house cleanin anyhow ;)

   Cooker/9.0 is very dynamic now (ie, beta2 [current cooker] isn't
compatible with 9.0beta1). Many gcc (-> 3.2) and lib changes. I'd say
only a fresh install is feasible. Further, It'sME that savin your 8.2
/home dir as is, won't suffice either.  You'll probly need to save
important stuff (ie, /Mail, some other ./xxx and configs for apps like
KNode, Pan, stuff like that), personal stuff. Then move into your new
/home incrementally, testing as you go.  Many 3rd party OSS apps aren't
ready for gcc3.x, so you'll probly need to get fresh versions and
recompile. OTOH, the new versions for many of those apps are on the
beta1 CD's, so NBD there. Closed-source stuff, proprietary 3rd party
apps and drivers will most likely also fail (eg, flash, java, nvidia,
SO, etc.).  Some of those are being, or can be rebuilt for the newer
distros tho.  Specially since it's not just Mandrake that's quickly
moving to newer kernels, libs, gcc, and so on.

   As to bugs, there's always some, but IME even early June alpha's of
9.0 are even better than 8.2 as released, and 8.2 was a solid release.