Alan Shoemaker wrote:

>Alastair Scott wrote:
>
>>There've been various remarks from civileme and others
>>suggesting (as I remember) that you have to go back to
>>Mandrake 5.3 to get a version that'll run on 486s.
>>
>>But I note that, in the /Mandrake-iso/i586 directory of
>>mirrors, there's a
>>
>>mandrake70-2.i486.iso (661,743,616 bytes).
>>
>>Is this Mandrake 7.0 for 486 machines? (If so, whoopee! -
>>although the ISO'll take ages to download I have a 486, in
>>extremis and with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 on it I
>>believe, lying in the cellar which could be doing something
>>:)
>>
>>Alastair
>>

>Alastair....the last time I checked www.cheapbytes.com had
>the mandrake 7.0-2 i486 version available on cd for a couple
>of bucks.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Alastair, my remarks included both 5.3 and the 7.0 Beta for 486...

5.3 is much less memory hungry and therefore probably suitable for many
older machines (Priced SIMM memory lately?).  7.0 was a rather buggy
distro whereas 7.1 was very very solid except for a logrotate script
error that created subsubsub .... directories and could be resolved by
removing one '*' from the logrotate script.

So if you get the 486 version of 7.0, you would likely be much happier
to add the srpms for 7.1 and compile them on your 7.0 and upgrade piecemeal.

Civileme