Are you accessing the correct port

Try this in a terminal window

echo ath1 > /dev/modem
This should make the modem go off hook and you will hear a 'click'
(ath0  will go back on hook again)

If it does not work try /dev/ttyS0  for serial port 0 or /dev/ttyS1 for serial
port 1 etc

Once you establish the correct modem port configure kppp accordingly.

Note : there is a support Notice on the USR site saying this modem always
installs as COM5 in Windows. It also mentions that it works under DOS. If so
it is a real modem and WILL work under Linux.
http://www.usr.com/support/docs-template.asp?prod=s-modem

Of course it is possible you have an IRQ conflict. You can check this by
looking at the IRQ allocation in KDE control Centre>Information

derek