Since no one could answer this question, I spent several hours looking for
the solution.  My problem stems from the plugger.so plug-in having already
registered the pdf mime type to xpdf.

Here is what I found about how to fix it and make Adobe Acrobat the default
app for opening *.pdf files with Mozilla.

Install Acrobat and be sure a copy of acroread is in your path.  Link
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and nppdf.so (the acrobat plug-in).

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins &&
ln -s /usr/local/Acrobat4/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so

Move the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/plugger.so to a directory not in your path
(/home/public is a good one for this).  Open Mozilla and the About:plugins
will no longer show any mime types handled by plugger.  Close Mozilla.

Edit the /etc/pluggerrc file and comment out any line referring to the pdf
mime type:

#application/pdf:pdf:PDF file
#application/x-pdf:pdf:PDF file
#text/x-pdf:pdf:PDF file
#    repeat swallow(documentShell) fill: acroread -geometry +9000+9000 -xrm
"userFrontEndProgram: FALSE' "$file"
#     repeat swallow(xpdf) fill:xpdf -g +9000+9000 -err "$file"

Save your edited file.

Move the plugger.so back to the /usr/lib/mozilla plugins directory.

That works!  Adobe Acrobat now opens *.pdf files in Mozilla.  And I hope
this helps someone else and that my taking up the bandwidth hasn't been a
solution in search of a problem.

e.