On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 11:43:57 +0100
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Marcia wrote:
>
> >Dear All,
> >
> >Has anyone here used Ardour? If so, how did you or do you use it and what do you
>think of it?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Marcia
> >

> Marcia,
> How did you ever get this utill on.
> Both,
>
> ardour-0.107.3-1mdk.i586.rpm
> ardour-0.107.3-1mdk.src.rpm,
>
> version I tried with M8.2,refused citing massive dependencies.
>
> By the way, from the descriptions, I'd say this is a sound mixer programme, to
>replace the old multi-tape-decks,of old.If I am right these  programmes are for
>recording multiple sound tracks, but using your hard drive as the storage medium ,
>instead of tape, then later remixing and combining those sound tracks as one finished
>output. In other words it's used by the music recording industry.
>
> As it so happens I do have a need for such a system, if indeed it is one.
>
> John
>
> John Richard Smith
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The FAQ on http://ardour.sourceforge.net/ says:
--Problems--
1.1.  I downloaded the binary and...

Stop.  There are no binaries.  The only releases are source releases.  Some
people have made RPMs and DEBs of Ardour, and this was nice of them.  But,
at this point in Ardour's development, anything older than the latest source
release is pointless.

1.2   Why no tarballs?

a) Because at this point in its development, I don't want to deal with
   bug reports from a version that's more than 3 hours old.  I am not
   going to build and upload tarballs every 3 hours.  Ardour sometimes
   changes dramatically internally several times in a day.  CVS lets
   people easily, quickly, cheaply get the latest changes and build a
   completely up-to-date version.

b) To try to discourage people without sufficient programming skill from
   trying to compile it.  I don't have the time to provide hand holding
   for the build process.  Compiling Ardour can be very difficult,
   although it's getting better all the time.  When I feel it's likely that
   most people will be able to compile the source without much
   difficulty, I'll start releasing tarballs again.