On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:31:46 -0500
Joseph Braddock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It appears that when you removed KDE2.2, you also removed the KDM it was using.
>When you installed KDE3, it installed the KDE3 version of KDM, but your system is
>unaware of it.  To fix it you to change the line in /etc/inittab from:
>#x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
> to:  x:5:respawn:/opt/kde3/bin/kdm -nodaemon
>
> This is assuming that your KDE3 is installed in /opt/kde3 and that /opt/kde3/bin
>does contain kdm.
>
> Joe

Just to clarify a couple of things, in my response (above), I should have mentioned
that your version of inittab will not have the # sign before the x:5:respawn command.
The # sign indicates the line is a comment.  What I did was to comment the original
line and added the new line directly below it.  I would recommend you do the same.
Also, the line in question occurs at the end of the inittab.

Joe