On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:29:21 -0400, Marcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I just successfully created a cdrw backup disk using Gcombust on LM8.2. After
> it was written I went to open it and I got a message that I did not have
> access rights to /mnt/cdrom. I have written a disk successfully before
> without this problem. How can I change the permissions on this disk so that I
> may open it? How did this happen in the first place? I cannot open it on my
> other computer either. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am the only
> user on this computer so would like full permissions for myself as user. I am
> not sure how to do this.

In /etc/fstab, look for /mnt/cdrom line. In the fourth field (fields are tab or
space delimited), you should see a set of options. Add ",user" to the end. This
will allow a user to mount /mnt/cdrom. Reboot, and hopefully everything should
be fine.

If that doesn't work, open userdrake and add yourself to the "cdrom" group.

Was the CD-ROM burnt using Rock Ridge extensions enabled? If so, then file
permissions were recorded to the disc. This means that the files on the disc
behave as if they're on your hard drive, in that you need the correct user
permissions to access them.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead
all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that
it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first
place." -- Douglas Adams