Anne Wilson, Friday 16 August 2002 20:16:
> On Thursday 15 Aug 2002 10:20 pm, you wrote:
> > Multitasking is really spending a few milliseconds on each task in turn.
> > Renicing asks for a process to be given more (or less) time each turn -
> > so an application feels more responsive, or gets more work done. 'top'
> > shows the nice setting of each process.
>
> So if you re-nice, does it judge the amount of activity previous and
> re-allocate based on that?  Or do you somehow indicate what you want it to
> do?
>
> Anne

You renice to an absolute value, not a relative one. Is that what you meant?

Remember this is only a /request/ for a higher or lower priority - if nothing
else was happening, something with a nice value of 20 could get up to 100%.

I don't do any of this myself - if something's taking too long, I put the
kettle on.

RichardA