On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, et wrote:

> On Monday 19 August 2002 06:47 am, you wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Chris Pollock wrote:
> > > Relating to my Adabas Database question, should I have installed SO 6.0
> > > as a stand alone or as network?  How does/will this affect the operation
> > > of Adabas?
> >
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > Either way would be fine. as a stand alone the only one then that can us
> > SO on your system then would be you, as opposed to using the network
> > install that would allow any user logged into the system to use SO.
> Really? I thought the difference was the network install would put all the
> files in a space accessible by all users and only install about 20 megs in
> the users space and the single install put about 200 megs in the users

this is correct.

> folders and all the 200 megs could only be accessed by the user that
> installed SO? and since I bet (don't really know, only a guess) Adabas would
> require (or like to have) multiple users, the net install would be the
> recommended manner.

the network install places the program files and all other files in a
central instalation folder. (I usually install mine to
/usr/local/staroffice6.0) and then as you say when the user runs the setup
program copies about 20MB with of files over to the ~/$USER.

as for Adabas I don't think it really cares whether it's in multi-user
environment or not.

--
daRmaTTeR

Reg. Linux User #186492
"Stupidity has no moral high ground...it can't see that high!"