These are my favorite partition manipulation tools. They complement one
another, so collect 'em all:

* Parted, available through freshmeat. You want to download the floppy
disk image and run it from a floppy. It's Linux based, open source, and
so well documented even I understand it. I'm not sure if it plays nice
with NTFS, so test first. Works great with FAT32, for what that's worth.

* Partition Resizer, available through tucows.com. DOS based freeware
but not open source. It strives to be a freeware alternative to
Partition Magic. Again, I'm not sure if it does NTFS.

Good luck, Franki. If nothing works and you have to do the
format-and-reinstall dance, install Windows as FAT32 rather than NTFS if
possible. (If you're on a local network, check with your sysadmin
first.) Decent NTFS tools are hard to find.

One other thing: on your failed test with Ghost, take a look at
C:/boot.ini (which is Windows 2000's lobotomized version of lilo.conf).
Maybe the only thing wrong was a bad configuration file.

Warren