> I've read the man page, the readme, the faq, and the freepascal.org
> site, but everything takes for granted that the compiler will work after
> installing the rpm. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

One would expect that 'fpc' is indeed installed somewhere, perhaps
/usr/bin, with the other support files somewhere else (/usr/share/fpc
or someplace like that). Can you verify that 'fpc' is in /usr/bin?

I suppose you tried this multiple times, and I'll assume you installed
the software from an RPM, so it would make sense that the files would
be stored in a sane place.

There are probably three possibilities:

/usr/bin not in PATH - but I find that highly unlikely; otherwise not
much else would work. It could be that the installation directory is
not in your path, or the install is broken in some respect (i.e., by
not placing the compiler binary or at least a link to it in /usr/bin).

you installed the source rpm by mistake, so you'd have to compile it,
but that doesn't seem that likely. Did the filename end in src.rpm?

The other possibility might explain the situation -- but it's rather
arcane. Under some situations I have noticed that 'bash' does not
see updates as new programs are added - but this is not something that
is expected to happen, as it is with csh and its derivatives. csh's
behavior is such that you have to type 'rehash' to get it to reread
the files in $PATH. As far as I can tell, it's not supposed to be
necessary when using bash, but there are a few occasions where I've
had to do just that -- (type 'rehash') in order for the shell to
recognize the new command. I don't know why this is -- maybe it's
something having to do with he buffers / vfs file layer.

At any rate, typing 'rehash' at the command prompt (or exit & relogin)
might actually work. It can't hurt.