Maybe this is just inexperience with X or KDE of late, but I have the
following problem, I think...

My machine has 128 megs of ram.  I and my wife are the only users.  When I
start up X, on a virtual term, 'top' reports that perhaps half of that is
in use (i forget the numbers right now).  As I continue to log in, log
out, etc, over the period of a few hours, the 'top' reports less and less
memory available.  There are no runaway processes that I can find and my
CPU is 98% idle now that I'm not in X.  But with nothing at all barely
running, I'm using 109 of the 128 megs.  The amount of memory used NEVER
decreases, and I've had x11amp and others in X refuse to start because
there was "No more memory available".  Is this a memory leak, a side
consequence of using KDE, the sign of an obscure bug, or what?

I have no perspective on what constitutes normal memory usage, but what
looks appropriate?

Thanks,
 David

"Without the Law, there is no Liberty.  Without Justice, there is no Law."