On Thursday 05 Sep 2002 8:34 pm, you wrote:
> I'm having problems getting the DNS server running again, after changing my
> IP address so that the router handles DHCP  I thought I would browse using
> Webmin, but I can't start it now.  Everything was working as I wanted
> before we installed the router.
>
> Perhaps I'm tackling this the wrong way.  This is the situation:
>
> Router runs dhcp where it does not have a listed address.  All our machines
> have static IPs which are listed and recognised by the router.
>
> I can ping by IP but not by name.  I don't know how significant this is to
> the real problem.
>
> Somewhere along the line my Samba configuration has gone wrong.  I can be
> pinged, so I'm physically attached to the network, but all the network
> tests that use DNS fail.
>
> I have to get back to a stage where my shares and the Homes directories are
> visible on the lan.  It should be just a matter of retracing steps I took
> earlier, but I seem to have got into circular thinking.  Can anyone kick me
> in the right direction?
>
> Anne

Typical answer from some of the tests is:

[root@anne-linux anne]# smbclient '\\anne-linux\tmp'
added interface ip=192.168.0.1 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
wins_srv_died(): Could not mark WINS server 127.0.0.1 down.
Address not found in server list.
Connection to anne-linux failed

I'm not sure what's happening here - 192.168.0.1 is the router address, but
the samba server, and hence WINS server is 192.168.0.30.

Anne