[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I think the DVD drive did work to some degree.  The
>question is why the machine wasn't able to get past
>the progress bar, and why I'm getting the cdrom
>decoding status message.
>
>I just want to verify at this point that the CD-R is
>not bad (I have burnt 3 versions of the same disk so
>far, but you never know).  Can anyone point me to a
>tool that will allow me to do that?  (I'm using
>Roxio's Easy CD Creator, BTW.  If that makes any
>difference.)
>
>Mike K.
>
>--- John Richard Smith

I suspect nothing  much wrong with your media.
I suspect hardware,not  faulty, but something about the hardware threw the installer.
I would be causious about messages, they usually are generic, rather than specific.
I have used EZCD v5 for many years, ever since it came out
and if you have never had trouble with the writer before
I doubt it makes any difference.But if you want to try
a linux writer programme cdrecord can write an iso image to disc.eg
cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,1,0 -eject /sourcefile.iso
adapt yours to suit.
to find out what bus your writer is on do
cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.11a19 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'PIONEER ' 'DVD-ROM DVD-116 ' '1.22' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) 'MITSUMI ' 'CR-48X9TE       ' '1.0C' Removable CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
you can see mine is on 0,1,0

However I would  as I say suspect something about your hardware or how it is setup.
You might start by listing it again if you haven't already done so.

regards,
John
--
John Richard Smith