Depends what program it is. You could download the source of the file you
want to install and compile it from source, or maybe www.rpmfind.net has a
mandrake rpm for you?

It would have been handy to know what file you are talking about there
though ;-) If you tell us we might be able to give more info.

As for a workaround... no I don't believe there really is (at least a
reliable stable one).

Greetings
Ralph

--