On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:31:26 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>If they were the same price,same size 5400 rpm are 7200
>IBM .Which would work best for me??I,m running Mandrake
>only on this system 950 duron,320 MB ram,voodoo 3000
>video.I,ve alway used W/D and there is a sale at a fair
>price but I,ve never had a 7200 rpm are a IBM .Is it
>noticeable ?

All other things being equal, yes.
Seek time will always be slower on the 5400rpm, but data transfer
rates might not necessarily be as severely affected as appears at
first glance.

For example, I've just bought a couple of new Maxtor drives. 5400rpm
and 7200rpm.
Specs:
                5400rpm 7200rpm
platters                3               2
heads           6               4
seek            12mS            8.5mS
sectors/track   486-950 481-882
media xfer      43MB/s          54MB/s

7200rpm gets you 33% faster rotational speed but 26% faster transfer
rate.
The extra heads on the 5400rpm (and the small increase in
sectors/track) means that it can pull more data off per rotation than
the 7200rpm... although it takes longer to do that revolution.
(Assuming that we can ignore interleaving - although I'm not sure if
that's a valid assumption...).

Your mileage may well vary on the IBM parts.

If you've never had a 7200rpm before, be prepared for a shock at how
hot they run!

For same price & same size, it's a no-brainer. You don't lose anything
by stepping up in speed. But personally I wouldn't be buying either...
or even accepting them as a free gift - see below.

>I,ve heard IBM is going out of the harddrive
>business.Are they OK ? Are is there a problem?

Put "ibm gxp drive failure" into Google & make your own mind up.

I used to buy almost exclusively IBM drives... not any more.

Jon