Corstain,

First of all, forget Gphoto it doesn't work

I just forwarded some older emails from the newbie group, the one has the fstab entry you'll need to enter (remember to create a new directory in /mnt corresponding to the directory name you want for your camera) (and don't forget to put a carriage return after the line in fstab)
Heck, since i'm already busy typing, i'll go ahead and paste in the fstab entry and getpix script and try to explain them for you.
/dev/sda1 /mnt/fuji vfat noauto,owner,ro,user 0 0
/mnt/fuji can be named whatever you want, as long as the corresponding directory you create matches.

then here's the procedure you need to follow after rebooting (pasted from yet another email)
In Root Terminal
   1. modprobe sd_mod
   2. modprobe usb-storage
   3. modprobe usb-ohci (motherboard usb may use uhci). --you'll know which one to use because

to use the getpix script, first get the jhead executeable (link provided in the "getpix" script below) Download the precompiled executeable and drop it in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin

You can customize the script to go to whatever directory you choose by changing "ROOT=" line. for example, mine goes to "/mnt/home/(my home directory)/Documents/pics/fuji"  just make sure all the directories exist before running the script.
Create a new text file named "getpix.sh" and copy and paste the script text below.  Save the file and then enter the following from konsole:
chmod u+x getpix.sh  (makes it executeable)

This script really makes me love linux.  It copies the pics off the camera, (since you have a fujifilm camera the directory structure on the memory card should match exactly) renames the pics with the exact timestamp of the time the photo was taken, copies them to the specified folder, ("ROOT=" in the script) and then opens them in Gqview, which is simply the best thumbnail preview software i've ever used.  (make sure you have gqview installed by the way)

You can use this script in a number of ways.  you can copy it to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.  that way you can access it from a command line by symply typing "getpix.sh" and/or you can create a shortcut on your desktop pointing to it.

Anyway, best of luck.  I'm sure there will be more comments if this doesn't do it for you.

Todd Franklin

Begin copying text below this line
#!/bin/bash

# REQUIRES JHEAD
# See below for URL
# Set up system variables
# Mountpoint for your camera
CAM="/mnt/fuji"
# The folder on your media where the pictures are
SRC="/mnt/fuji/dcim/100_fuji"
# The root directory where you store your images
ROOT="/home/todd/fuji"
# The target folder name where pictures will be copied to
# Just the name, the complete path will be filled in
# Default will be YYYY_MM_DD
TARGET=`date +%Y_%m_%d`

# That's all you *have* to set up

clear

# Mount camera
mount $CAM

# Create target directory
mkdir $ROOT/$TARGET

echo "Copying images . . ."

# Copy images
cp $SRC/*.jpg $ROOT/$TARGET &&
echo "Finished copying images."

# Umount camera
umount $CAM

echo "You can disconnect the camera now."

# For some reason my pix have the executable bit set
chmod -x $ROOT/$TARGET/*.jpg

# Rename images -- requires jhead
# Get jhead at http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
# jhead does other stuff you might want to add here, too
jhead -n%Y_%m_%d-%k_%M_%S $ROOT/$TARGET/*.jpg

echo "Images have been renamed."
echo "Images are in $ROOT/$TARGET"

# Let's look at them in gqview
gqview $ROOT/$TARGET &
exit

End of the file, please don't copy text from this line or any below.

Corstian van Roest wrote:
i'm trying to download photographs from my fujifilm mx-2900 (using
gphoto), but i can't get a connection to my camera.

Do i have to set permissions for using the RS232port?  (if yes: how?)

anybody else got experience with this camera?