On Thursday 12 September 2002 15:53, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Patrik Marxer wrote:
> >On Thursday 12 September 2002 13:53, John Richard Smith wrote:
> >>Patrik Marxer wrote:
> >>

> >>In the first xcdroasr window , do a, setup - Device Scan,
> >>does it show your device listed there.

<snip>

> This is very odd , mine looks like this
> [0,0] PIONEER  DVD-ROM-116   1.22  CD-ROM
>
> [0,1] MITUMI     CR-48X9TE          1.0   CD-ROM

That's the output if you double-click on either entry.

> I wonder why yours has all the rest of it, don't think it matters though,
>
> >>Then ,In Read CD window, under device setup, does it show your read
> >>device as
> >>your writer, you may need to select from a dropdown list.
> >
> >Reader and Writer is the same Sony drive. Everything looks fine.
>
> That's fine.As long as it's there  everything is ok
>
> >It may be that I didn't fixate the CDR when I was writing to it (half a
> > year ago under windows with nero...)
>
> Try fixating in xcdroast

Well the CD is quite valuable. And I just checked: this duplicate CD: Empty
CD-R/RW thing happens with _all_ CDs even the Mandrake installation CDs.
So I guess it's not the fixating.

> >Anyway is there a way to copy the contents of a CD to an iso on the HD?
>
> Indeed , but I cannot see why, if your writer/rom is being recognised,
> and is set up under scsi-emulation , you ought to be able to read it
> Have you an icon on desktip for this device and can you read the
> data CD by clicking on it.

Yes everything is fine. As I said it is a CD that is perfectly well
recognized in all CD drives that I have checked it. It was written ok and is
read ok - I just cannot use xcdroast to make an iso of it. Do I need two
drives for that? One for reading and one for writing?

> I think the next thing to do is to look at your /etc/fstab to make sure
> you do have is set up right, and to check on your etc/lilo.conf to
> see that scsi-em is being set up. try reporting back.
> By the way which OS is it , M8.2 ?

/etc/fstab is fine (I think):
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-15,ro,noauto 0 0

/etc/lilo.conf:
append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi"

As I said before: I can write with xcdroast - I can read the CDs I have
written, when I mount them. It really seems to be something in xcdroast. Some
missing click or maybe even a bug.

> As far as copying the disc to hd , mkiso will do that and give you a
> nice iso file to write from.

in man mkisofs it reads:  mkisofs takes a snapshot of a given  directory
tree,  and  generates  a binary  image which will correspond to an ISO9660 or
HFS filesystem when written to a block device.
As I understand it this is the same as copying the contents of the CD to the
HD and then let xcdroast burn it (using again mkisofs).

But I would like to have some program that rips the whole CD and makes the
corresponding iso - complete with Label, bootable/not bootable. To be exact:
A tool to copy CDs 1:1. It doesn't need to circumvent copy-protection since
this one hasn't any (but it would be nice of course)

some odd things (I don't know if they are relevant):

pm@merlin:~$ /usr/bin/readcd
bash: /usr/bin/readcd: Permission denied

there's no man readcd on my system...

the permission for readcd is:
-rwxr-s---    1 root     cdwriter   117720 Apr 12 21:05 readcd

I am now in group cdwriter.

patrik