On Tuesday September 17 2002 07:03 pm, Bob Read wrote:
> Tom:      Updating lilo doesn't solve the problem, but
> experimenting with it proves that the problem is after it.

    Well, there's several files on the floppy, and like booting from the
HDD (/boot) all need to present/not corrupted.
 floppy$ l
boot.msg*  initrd.img*  ldlinux.sys*  syslinux.cfg*  vmlinuz*

     I thought it might be a first thing to try as I suspected your
initrd.img or some other img/link(S) might have been mangled.  You'd be
able to uncompress the kernel, but not boot from it.

> Using failsafe -- or simply changing the linux section of lilo from
> append="devfs-mount quiet"
> append="devfs-nomount"
> causes different scripts to run, and either of them will work and
> leave everything appearing to work ok.

    Removing 'quiet'  doesn't do anything but let you see the boot
messages that quiet hides.

> But that's just bypassing the problem, not solving it.

     Since re-installing lilo wasn't the problem, boot from the floppy
again and and re-install the kernel from the CD 1. You'll need to use
'rpm -ivh --force kernel.....rpm'

     That will not only re-install the kernel, but it'll also R&R (ie,
the --force option) the initrd, vmlinuz, and other images and links in
/boot. To be safe, run 'lilo' again.  See if that doesn't fix it (?)