Darth Gates... I like that.  It makes me smile in a silly way.  I kind
of think of his as more of a Rick Moranis guy, ala SpaceBalls, but
the image is still there.

I am interested in Linux becuase we have a person at out company
who is buying brand-new beefy systems to run intranet servers and
firewalls for out networks.  In addition to other projects.  I'm
convinced that we can do more, with less equipment on Linux
boxes.  I just have to find out how, and prove it.  *sigh*   That's
where the work comes in.

On a personal level, I find Microsoft's attempts to modify people's
computing habits and thier casual treatment of privacy concerns
offensive.  They want to be the internet's Big Brother, and I don't
like that.  I was bitching to a colleague about my hatred for MS,
and he said "There's no alternative... get over it."  That's when my
search started.  Linux.  I like it.  Now if only I could get online with
it...   (I'm working on it... I'm working on it...)

On 11 Sep 99, at 19:32, Leonard W. Miller wrote:

> Now that I think of it, that is pretty funny.  Especially since I obviously
> can't spell. LOL
> You're observations are somewhat correct.  I work for the federal gov't and
> we are currently stuck in a license agreement with Darth Gates.  Or Drug
> Dealer Bill.  Whatever you want to call him.  I call him drug dealer because
> he he lures you in with certain agreements and then all of a sudden at the
> end of the agreement he says "Ok, now you have to pay me $259 per user, per
> year, for the next 3 years for Office and choice of OS plus extra little
> incentives"  Not a bad deal in a way.  Except that the license agreement I
> need has to fit over 3,000 users.  You do the math.  And whose to say that
> at the end of the 3 yrs he won't up the price?  Odds are, as history shows
> us, he will.
> Now think about this.  The same people who are trying to run this man, and I
> use the term loosely for fear of offending someone, thru the ringer are the
> same people who require the use of his products.  Think about that for a
> second.  Who pays for it in the end?  I'll put it to you this way, you might
> want to look for a better paying job.
> So begins the quiest for an OS with packages, like StarOffice, that can do
> the same thing and save us and you enough money to give me a raise (just
> kidding)
> Enough said for now.
> Thanks again.

-- Tim and/or Wendy