I have lots of 8.2 boxes on which cups works just fine.  Then there's
this other one...

As the GUI tools have previously worked for me where cups is concerned,
I have never looked beyond them.  On the problem box, when I access
Hardware > Printer under the Control Center, it says that something or
someone has set cups to not automatically start at boot and asks if I
would like to turn this back on.  I answer yes and at the next boot, it
fails to start and I can repeat this loop for as long as it seems like
fun.  (not long)

If I go into System > Services, I see that cups is not running and not
set to start at boot.  I can start it from there (and it works), but my
attempts to click the "On boot" button don't stick. i.e. Exit from
Control Center then jump back in and the "On boot" button is off again.

This is a standard 8.2 install with only security and bugfix updates
applied.  Security level is set at Standard (i.e. low).

Can anyone point me at the appropriate config files that determine cups
starts and stops?

TIA
Brian