On Thursday 19 September 2002 10:50 pm, Larry Theden wrote:

> > Pretty much.  MOT, you'll be ahead of the isos.  Like right after
>
> What, then, is the advantage (if any) of downloading/burning the
> betas/RCs as they come down the pipe?
> I suppose, if nothing else, having *a* set of bootable CDs is a
> good fallback, but what (if anything) do you get for using the
> .ISOs as opposed to keeping up with urpmi?

Well, I don't know, just testing the installer mainly and the default
set up I guess.  Like you said having the isos available locally is a
good backup in case an update toasts system (tho I"ve never had that
happen).  I have unlimited downloads and a big pipe so no biggie for
me.  tho I"m still in rc2 updated cause I got winex and mplayer and
alot of other goodies working good.  So I don't boot rc3.  One
example is kdeartwork is missing from rc3 isos, but I never would
have realized that if I hadn't installed it fresh.  I guess mainly
it's personal preference.  One reason I kept wanting to install them
fresh to make sure the nvidia drivers would continue to work, cause
they did for beta2 of redhat, but didn't in null.  <shrugs>  So I was
worried that at any time they'd quit working with mandrake.  But then
nvidia released new drivers compiled or compatible with gcc 3.x so
that's a worry relieved.  I'm fairly sure I will do a fresh install
of 9.0 final tho for sure.
-s