On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 20:26, qhwang wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I bought a Compaq laptop recently and I plan to install Mandrake on it. Is there
>anyone has experience about installing Mandrake with a pre-installed Windows XP
>system? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Wishes,
>

> QingHua.

Well the main issue is likely to be making room for Mandrake as the
laptop will likely have NTFS installed.  Diskdrake can't resize this, so
you would either have to reinstall XP on a smaller partition or use a
partitioning tool that can resize NTFS.  I suspect that Partition Magic
can do this.  A second hard drive is also possible of course, but that
may not be an option.

Another possibility is to use a tool like ghost to copy the XP image to
another machine, then back again, selecting a smaller partition size.

If you are fortunate enough to find that XP is installed on FAT32, then
no problem.  Diskdrake can resize it during the install.  Backup first
of course!

One caveat on all of this - do you have a way of reinstalling XP from
scratch if it fails?  i.e. Did you get a restore CD with the system?  If
the only restore option is from a partition on the hard drive, think
twice and then once more before jumping in and make sure you understand
the way this works.

HTH
Brian