On Wednesday 25 September 2002 04:02 am, Dennis &Sue wrote:
> i have installed Mandrake 8.2 on a former Windows 20 gig harddrive.
> I have 1 partition set as / ( 1.4 gigs ), another set as /home (
> 1.6 gigs ) I wouls like to make a couple more linux native
> partitions for storage, etc. Going through Mandrake control center
> I am able to do this, But here lies my question.
> I believe I want to set them mount point as /usr, and I am told
> this via a popup :
> Directory /usr already contains some data ( share, bin, lib,
> libexec, sbin...) My choices are as follows:
> Move files to the new partition ?
> Hide files ?
> What option do I want to check so as not to hose my system, or have
> to rebuild it again ?

Probably the easiest way is use the diskdrake to make a new partition
and call it /other or whatever.  It will write an entry to fstab for
it and mount it.  Then just copy your /usr directory to it (or dd
would probaby be better).  Then edit your fstab renaming /other to
/usr and try to rename /usr to /usr.bak.  Then reboot and if all is
well, delete old /usr (/usr.bak).
hth,
-s