> On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:54:59 +0500 "Angus Auld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Greetings all, I want to upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0, and I want to know if
> > the standard edition from Mdk for $30 USD is the same as the download
> > edition, content wise?
> >
> > I can remember reading somewhere that in Mdk 8.2, there was a difference
> > in the content of the standard cd's from Mdk, and the download version.
> > That the download version actually was more complete. Was that just an
> > anomaly w/8.2?
> >
> > I really want to support Mdk, and $30 is certainly little enough to pay
> > for the cd's. I was wondering about the content though. I'm on a dialup,
> > and downloading large packages is a real pain. ;-)
>
> There's been quite a lot of discussion about this on [cooker].
>
> I believe that the 'standard edition' is the download edition plus some
> commercial demos or similar; the last CD of the download edition is 150MB
> short because the demos were deliberately left out to save about 10 per
> cent of total bandwidth per download. I don't know what the demos are, but
> they could well be things like Hancom Office.
>
> From what I've read 9.0 has been carefully set up so that the download
> edition and the 'standard edition' are interchangeable (less maintenance,
> and if urpmi asks for CD 2, you can use either CD 2 without confusion
> setting in). Apparently this was not the case with 8.2.
>
> Alastair
Many thanks Alastair, exactly what I wanted to know. I think I will order the Standard
Edition from Mdk.
I don't know if I can wait till probably the end of Oct though 8-(

I do have access to a broadband connection (not at home unfortunately), so I may try
to download the iso's in the meantime. I can well imagine the servers are very busy
right now.

Thanks again.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber

Reg. Linux User #278931
Download the FREE Opera browser at www.opera.com/download/

Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/