On September 28, 2002 08:41 pm, Warren Post wrote:
> El jue, 26-09-2002 a las 19:04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
> > I installed on an old Compaq Deskpro 566.  I have 32MB of ram.  I also
> > have two disk drives.  One is a 500MB drive and the other is a 1G drive.
> > I installed the root on the 500G drive with swap and home on the 1G
> > drive.
> >
> > Problem:  I installed KED.  I saw it install but when I boot up all I get
> > is the text only command window.
> > Do I need more memory?
> > Thanks,
> > Dave Capuano
>
> I'm not sure what the minimum requirements are, and we would need to
> know which version of Mandrake and KDE in any case. But I can say that
> with your older system KDE is not an option. You will find a lighter
> window manager like IceWM or Blackbox to be much faster and probably
> more stable.
>
> If you can put more memory in the box, do it. Linux uses RAM very
> efficiently and so there's no such thing as too much RAM.
In order to do a graphical install, you need a minimum of 64megs. You need 32
megs fot text install. If you wish to use KDE or Gnome you need a minimum of
64megs. I have managed to run IceWM down to 32megs but it's extremely slow.
Scrounge around and find as much memory as you can and stuff it in there.

Spence