On Tuesday 01 October 2002 11:47, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Hi Y'all
>
> Bit of a poser for you.
>
> I'm installing and re-installing some stuff on my system.
>
> Limewire requires the JRE 1.3.1, whereas Arachnophilia requires 1.4.
>
> What I want to know is:
>
> 1. Can Limewire be installed with JRE 1.4?

Yes, I use 1.4 with Limewire

> or
>
> 2. Can I install both JRE versions without conflict?

You can do this as well (I have 1.4 and 1.1 installed which is required for
my eBanking software - so with the exception of 1.1 to all the other
versions, I have never had any downward compatibility problems (with java
1.2,1.3,1.4)
Just download both versions from sun. You then have to decide which version
you want to use in your PATH environment variable and the other will be
started with the absolute path.

Anyway: in your home dir you have to open ".bashrc" in an editor and add the
line: export PATH=/my-java-installation-directory/bin:$PATH) then you can
start limewire with:
java -jar /my-path-to-limewire/LimeWire.jar

and my banking software starts with:
/mnt/data/programs/cs-directNet/jre/jdk118_v3/bin/java something

Patrik