Hi

I'm having problems configuring internet access on a new laptop (via a
built in ethernet card / LAN). Details of my configuration are at the
bottom of the message. Any help gratefully received.

Here's what I can do:

  (from my machine)
  telnet to another local machine (inside firewall)
  ping a machine outside the firewall
  ftp to a local machine

  (from a machine outside the firewall)
  open a terminal on my machine via ssh
  ping my machine

Here's what I can't do:

  access the internet (mozilla, konqueror)
  ssh/telnet/ftp to machines outside the firewall

The machine is dual boot and everything works under Windows XP with the
same settings as I entered via the connection wizard in the control
centre. I have a static IP, and the DNS server is definitely working OK.
The network monitoring tool reports that my connection is up.

I'm pretty new to linux so if you need any more information then let me
know.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Tim

CONFIGURATION:

Model:            Dell Inspiron 8200
operating system: Mandrake 8.2
CPU:              Intel Pentium 4 (Mobile) 1.8GHz
Memory:           512Mb
Network card:     3COM corporation 3c905C-TX  (built in)

Tim Wright
Department of Earth Sciences
Parks Road
Oxford OX1 3PR