On 12 Sep, Donald Benoit wrote:
> I installed linux so that the X windows logon comes on automatically. How do
> I bypass this and go directly to the shell logon?
> Don

> FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com

edit /etc/inittab.  Look for this line:

id:5:initdefault:

Change it to say

id:3:initdefault:

Save & exit.

Then type "init 3" as root and press <ENTER>.

What you've just done is edited the "init table" (I think, as fstab is
FileSystem Table, and mtab is Mount Table... a little bit of
extrapolation, and you get Init Table).  This particular line tells
init (the first program loaded on your computer after LILO has booted
the kernel) which runlevel to change into.  As you can see if you read
any of /etc/inittab at all, runlevel 3 is for console login, while 5 is
for X login.

--
-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>