Dale Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
(10/03/2002 10:58)

>Hi!
>
>I'm having trouble with rpmdrake, when I try to urpmi packages, the
>program hangs and when I try and install packages from graphical
>interface it seems to take forever, although they do eventually install.
>Can anyone explain the reason for this slowness? And tell me what I need
>to do to correct it. Please cc me a copy of email reply to my home
>address..

It's just general slowness of public mirror servers, for which there
is no cure; Mandrake 9.0 and Red Hat 8.0 being issued within a week
of one another has led to machines all round the world being reduced
to iron filings as the CD images download ... slowly ;)

An enhancement I'll suggest for 9.1 is that you can specify a server-
specific timeout (if the server doesn't respond within N seconds, go
on to the next server to get details from) as this timeout is,
evidently, hardwired.

To see what actually happens without the GUI hiding the details use
the command line (as root):

urpmi.update -a (to update all package lists from all servers);

urpmi.update <server> (to update the package list from server <server>);

urpmi --auto-select (to update all packages which are updateable).

Alastair