We have done some more work on this. We re-installed Mandrake and did NOT
install any of the development packages. No gcc was installed at all at that
point. Then we went back and selected the development group and accepted the
default values for the packages (gcc2.96). We did not select the "other"
category that had gcc3.04 in it.

After installation, to verify that gcc was installed, we did the following
command:

[root@pathfiles root]# find / -name gcc
/etc/alternatives/gcc
find: /mnt/floppy: Input/output error
find: /mnt/cdrom: Input/output error
/var/lib/rpm/alternatives/gcc
/usr/bin/gcc

Then we wrote a simple C program and tried to compile it:

gcc sample.c

The error is "gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0': No such file or
directory."

We were logged on as root and the program was in the root directory. Then we
copied it to the directory where cpp0 is located, and got the same error.

Then we searched and found that we did indeed have gcc2.96 and gcc3.04 by
issuing the following command:

[root@pathfiles root]# rpm -qa | grep gcc && rpm -qa | grep gcc && rpm -qa |
grep libstd
gcc3.0-cpp-3.0.4-2mdk
libgcc3.0-3.0.4-2mdk
gcc-2.96-0.76mdk
gcc-c++-2.96-0.76mdk
gcc3.0-cpp-3.0.4-2mdk
libgcc3.0-3.0.4-2mdk
gcc-2.96-0.76mdk
gcc-c++-2.96-0.76mdk
libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.76mdk
libstdc++3.0-devel-3.0.4-2mdk
libstdc++3.0-3.0.4-2mdk
libstdc++2.10-devel-2.96-0.76mdk

Our dilema is that we have packages that we need to install, and we can't even
compile the simplest C program. Help!!

------------------------

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Wednesday 02 October 2002 02:15 pm, you wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> We installed Mandrake Linux 8.2 and chose all the options. We definitely
> installed the Development package. Now we need to use the c compiler, but
> we are getting the following error:
>
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.
>
> It seems that gcc2.96 and 3.04 are both there. Could this be the cause, and
> why do you think both were installed?
>
> Thanks,
> Kathy Richmond
first, we need to know what program you are trying to install (not really,
but might help), and then we need to make sure you were root when you tried
to compile, and what directory you were in (and what directory the software
was in)
my bet is the program was written for redhat, and chokes at gcc2.96.

they were both installed because whomever selected the packages, selected
both

--- end of quote ---