Get a copy of NMAP and start scanning devices on your network to see if the
Snort box catches it.  If not, you'll need to go over your config settings
with a fine-tooth comb.  You'll usually find that a type in the network
address or something is easy to do.

The DNS variable is for you to put in the address(es) of you DNS machine(s).
Thie will cause Snort to ignore certain DNS rules that would otherwise cause
false alarms.

Snort rule updates can be found at snort.org in the downloads section.