I run 'gpm' and X-Windows together always. I have done this in older
distros in RH and MDK, right up to versions 7.2 and 8.2, respectively. I
use PS/2 when I have it, but serial as well. I can't remember ever
having ever experienced your problem.

A mouse driver is very simple in action at the command prompt since
video is also relatively simple at this point. I run my MDK 8.2 machine
at 'vga=768' resolution with 'gpm' running, and easily get into KDE or
GNOME without problems from my PS/2 mouse (a Belkin three-button
cheapie!) Once you are in an X-Windows session, it would seem to me that
your X-server is the driving force with 'gpm' holding its own
environment space for use in a terminal while X is running. I suspect
that your problem is in X, not 'gpm'.

Are you sure that you have X-server properly picked out and set
according to your video card's attributes and capabilities? Are you
pushing video to its max resolution, color depth and refresh rate? Have
you tried to check keyboard access when the mouse locks up to see if the
mouse is really locking up or if its really the X-Windows session? If
your keyboard is inactive, it seems more probable that you have an
improperly set-up X-Server (or maybe the wrong one for your video card?)

What's your video, VRAM and brand of mouse you are using? What are the
setting that you configured with XF86Setup? I am sure that many here
could help you see where you need to make changes if we knew more about
your configuration.