Rob wrote:

> Anyway, my problem is this: I've been using KDE everytime I've used Linux,
> but after looking at GNOME, it seems faster, plus it has Ximian Evolution,
> which I rather like (blows Outlook XP away completely)
>
> But in Mandrake 9, GNOME looks weird, there's a blank (ish) panel at the
> bottom of the screen, and another Mac-stylee panel at the top, how to I get
> all this stuff to the bottom of the screen (like in Red Hat / Mandrake 8.2)

This is being recalled from memory as I'm currently using a Windows NT machine ;)

The trick is to use the right mouse button on the existing panels. There's a plethora
of options in the pop-up menu that appears; you can remove panels completely, move
them around, change their width or add or remove a variety of applets to or from the
panel.

Probably one of the first things you want to do is add the "GNOME Menu" to the
existing panel at the bottom; that gives you a 'foot' icon which pops up a
near-replica of the "Mandrake" and "Actions" menus in the top panel.

Alastair