Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me, I'm using a SoundBlaster Live Value card and some Boston Acoustics Digital 5.1 speakers, the speakers plug straight into the normal line out socket on the soundcard, and (in windows xp) I have to tell it to output digital audio only, otherwise I get no sound.

Anyway, Mandrake seems to work okay with my setup, in that I have sound, (which I didn't have in Red Hat 7.3 & 8) but my volume control doesn't work, sound comes out so loud that I've not really bothered to listen to anything now, even with my speaker volume as low as it can go, sound from MP3's, event sounds etc... are all really loud.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this?  I believe it's using the ALSA sound stuff, but that's all I know (I'm new to Linux btw!)