On Wednesday 02 October 2002 12:44 am, Kristjan Klementi wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:23:21 -0700
> >
> > Seedkum Aladeem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I have the same problem with my sound card. I issued the "sndconfig"
> > > command and it looks like it went into the probing stage and never came
> > > out of it.
> >
> > You have to click OK to get it to probe. Probing can take some time...

> > > had to kill the KDE window in order to get it to stop. My sound is
> > > still not configured. LM8.0, 8.1 and 8.2 configured the same sound card
> > > automatically during the install without any intervention.
> > >
> > > How did LM8.0, 8.1 and 8.2 do it then?
> > >
> > > Thanx,
> > >
> > > Seedkum
> >
> > Well it's often advised to run sndconfig in a virtual console and not
> > under X.
> >
> > ML9.0 doesn't automatically configure ISA soundcards because it hung some
> > people's systems during install (IIRC from the cooker list).
> >
> > I don't know how ML8.0, 8.1 and 8.2 configured the soundcard. I am quite
> > sure though that it can also work in Dolphin :)
> >
> > For most soundcards there are both OSS and ALSA drivers available in
> > ML9.0. The ALSA ones in Dolphin are based upon  ALSA 0.9.0rc2 while 8.2
> > had the 0.5.x series ALSA drivers. What would be nice is if you still
> > have your /etc/modules.conf from 8.2. Oh, what soundcard do you have and
> > were you using ALSA (sndconfig is OSS only) ?
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> >     -Frans

Frans,

I booted LM90 in command line mode without gui and issued sndconfig on the
command line. The program found the sound card and did the sample sound test
without problem and edited the sound configuration file. But still KDE thinks
that there is no sound card. Harddrake lists no sound card.

The "/etc/sysconfig/soundcard" file now contains the following lines:
# THIS FILE IS WRITTEN BY SNDCONFIG
# PLEASE USE SNDCONFIG TO MODIFY
# TO CHANGE THIS FILE!
# There should be no spaces at the start of a line
# or around the '=' sign
CARDTYPE=SB16

The "/etc/modules.conf" file noe contains the following lines:
probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
alias eth0 8139too
alias sound-slot-0 sb