Hi,

I re-installed LM9.0 and I took the option to boot without X. I installed the
Xtart command for use when starting KDE.

I booted the machine and before starting X I logged in as root and issued the
sndconfig command because the install program gave me the message that I
should run sndconfig to configure my ISA sound card. The sndconfig program
went to completion and played the sample sound.

I then logged in as a regular user and started X. The KDE came up but the
sound was not working! Apparently sndconfig only works if I take the install
option to start X at bootup and issue the sndconfig command on one of the
Virtual Consoles with no X.

Regardless of whether I issued the sndconfig command or not, I see error
messages and system complaints when I switch back to the Virtual Console from
which I started X. Nothing that I can understand. Is there a way to capture
these error messages so that I could show them to somebody? I tried:

Xtart >& filename

but it did not record any error messages, perhaps the error messages appeared
after the Xtart command has finished executing. There were many error
messages but I have no way of relaying them to you. Some linux guru should
recreate the scenario and look into these issues.

Despite the fact that I installed LM9.0 with the option not to start X at boot
time, I see boot time message saying that the X server has started! This
looks fishy.

Thanx,

Seedkum