Of course there is. Only the default KDE desktop does not put the icon in the
quickstart bar. Here is how to do it.

Open KDEMenu>Multimedia>Sound>Kmix

This will pull up the free standing mixer. Set the controls gow you like them
then
File>SaveCurrentVolumes as default

To get it iconised ,

Settings>ConfigureKmix Dock into panel

Close kmix and you should have a little loudspeaker icon on your task bar
Left click on it to set global sound levels just like the 'other OS'

To make sure it is there next time you log on, when logging out of KDE close
any application you do not want present at the next startup, and then check
the 'save settings' box in the logout dialogue.

Next time you start KDE it will recover ALL the applications running when you
last logged off including the Kmix icon.

On the next log off UNCHECK the 'save settings' box, and now every time you
log into KDE it will go back to your preferred state.

If you are using a different Window Manager of course everything I have
written is useless to you :-)

HTH

derek