On Thursday 10 October 2002 12:28 am, John Richard Smith did speak unto the
huddled masses, saying:

> There's an article in todays edition of the FT
> inwhich Windblows says :-
>
> "licence change was a mistake"
>
> and,
>
> "Microsoft might allow families with more than one PC to use a
> single licence"
>

> It seems likesales of XP have not been all that good then.
>
> It would appear that for the first time there has appeared
> a crack in the edifice.

not the first crack and perhaps not the biggest.  the licence change was a
crack itself.  look at it from their view: you needed to change to a method
of demanding a steady flow of cash rather than count on hype and new PC
sales.  having merged the pro (NT) and home (9x) versions you suddenly lost
a part of the upgrade cycle.  have to raise the price too.  between the two
factors more than half your customers suddenly say they are looking
elsewhere.

even worse, hardware prices are so low, by the time you buy the OS and the
office setup, you have spent more in software than hardware.  seems pricey
to surf the web and write a document now and then.  remember more than 50%
of users almost never do more.

plus you have been in court for years, and despite millions and a few
tactics that make you look bad to the people who are in the know, you
basically come out with a draw.  tough break.

after years of being told your security sucks, nimda basically kicks your
butt.  so you announce a new security policy.  the result?  you look bad.
many a tech feels like the CTO of my wifes company, a fortune 500 company
told me he feels: "we always knew their security was bad, but 6000 patches
later we get hit by bugbear.  so what did those patches do?"

after the first few customers fled, the snowball started.  nearly everyday a
new company or government says they are going open source.  and every
announcement makes a few more companies brave enough to try.  soon you have
to give price cuts and incentives to companies like that aussie telco.
tens of thousands of desktops switching would be a hell of a blow.  the
damn "hobby software" is now backed by companies like HP and dell and IBM.
plus it seems to be winning the server war.  OSS powers the web, and the
latest reports say you have been padding your server numbers with empty
domains containing no web site.  you only hold about 20% of the web server
market it turns out.  damn.

plus you have made an enemy of almost everyone in the industry.  none of
them can compete with you alone, but they all smell blood in the water now,
and they all want a piece.

still, you have 3 things on your side: money, massive user base, and
preinstalls.  except the preinstalls are slipping, and your future user
base looks bad.  systems are being sold at places like walmart with that
damn toy OS, and companies like HP and Sun are getting into the act with
low cost machines for companies.  they even have an office suite to replace
yours, and that is the real cash cow.

then a survey by some universities says only 1.8% of pc users run linux on
the desktop!  at last a victory!  but it also says that nearly 20% of
college students use it, and even higher in tech schools.  these are your
future customers, running the other OS.  20% maybe more.  and a free test
drive is hard to fight.

time to take action, you change the retoric.  no more calling it cancer, no
more ignoring it.  "we will compete on features, not price."  but you know
that cheaper software that does the job "good enough" is often the winner
over featres.  that is how your office suite took share from players like
Corel and IBM after all.  and this software is more than good enough.  in
many cases it is better.  the big gun, FUD, doesn't work either.  when
people can try it themselves and see, and they already know you to be a
long time liar, the FUD falls on deaf ears.

the last asset, money, is startiong to get tied up between courts, payed off
poloticians, dropping economy, and great ventures like the xbox.  (hey what
is a few hundred dollars of lose per unit?  you will get your market share,
right?)  so what now?

now you have to compete on price too.  throw 'em a few freebies, stall for
time.  something will turn up, right?

- --
"I don't know who said that, but I usually credit Shakespeare.  That guy
said damn near everything." -me

shane
Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98