--I now have both floppies up and working and am chompin' at the bit for my next
Linux challenge. My special thanks to John for pointing me in the right
direction. If it's OK with y'all I'd like to post the step by step in case
anybody out there needs a really simplistic explanation.
   1. First uncheck the default word wrap in Kedit and set the line limit to a
high number like 120 or something. Failure to do so will result in your fstab
getting all corrupted and messed up. Take extra special caution with the last
two lines in fstab, as they don't appear to follow the regular format but seem
to be very important if you like booting your system.
   2. go to /mnt and create a new folder for the new floppy. Call it Floppy1 or
whatever. All the folders in /mnt should be empty, unless something like the
cdrom or whatever is mounted, in which case you should see nothing but the
folders on that particular cd. Make sure that your Kfm is set to show hidden
files.
   3. Copy the /dev/fd0 line in fstab but make it /dev/fd1 and be sure to
change the mount point column to the name of the new folder that you just
created. (you'll need to be root for this part)
   4. Reboot, and from the console as user type the command $mount /dev/fd1 and
hit enter. Assuming of course that there's a floppy in the drive with data on
it, your console should return to the prompt without reporting an error, and
you should see your floppy led come on. That's telling you that mount was
succesfull, but you aint done yet.
   5. login as root. Right click your exiting floppy icon, and choose
properties. a multi tab dialog box will come up. Leave it open on the desktop
and right click anywhere on the desktop. From the drop down menu choose "create
new filesystem device", and a little question mark thingie will appear on your
desktop. A dialog simillar to the one already up will appear. Go through it and
match all permissions and other settings, making sure to substitute the name of
the new device and mount point. at this point you will be able to choose Icons.
I took the green floppies that obviously are supposed to be for the old 51/4
floppies, but whatever you like. Some of the KDE icons are really too cool!
   6. That's about it, after testing of course, and you'll have to repeat step
5 in user, and reboot to test the whole thing. When rebooting pay special
attention to all the green OK's. If no red FAILED's show up, you're probably
good to go.

BTW Sorry about the Windows crack!!!!

David P. Greenberg
Bitco Electronics