On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:42:50 -0400
Zlatko Savic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering whether any packages that are installed manually
> by the user (i.e. tar, gzip, make, etc...) can be displayed as
> "installed package"

The only way they will show up in the rpm db is if you use a program
such as checkinstall to install them.
Once you have checkinstall when you build a program from a gzip, etc.,
instead of using 'make install', you use 'checkinstall make install'
checkinstall , after a few entries from you, will create and then
install the package as an rpm.
This rpm will then show up in your rpm db.

> in rpmdrake? I do not get it but maybe there is a way. The reason for
> this is simply because some rpm packages that I install using rpmdrake
> check their dependencies __IN___ rpmdrake ___only____ and always say
> that they are missing the packages

Actually it checks the PATHs on your system for the required
dependencies.
The problem arises because the default installation dir and/or names
used for resulting pkgs from most tgz, etc., is not the same as that
used by mdk

> I installed manually. How can I avoid that problem?

Use mdk rpms.
There is a mdk.rpm for every depend given by any other mdk rpm.
If you install from a tgz, etc., use checkinstall and build the pkg with
--prefix=/xxx so that it will be installed with the same PATH that mdk
would use.

    Charles

Fortune's real live weird band names #594:

Satan's Cheese
Charles A Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]