Hello Folks!

Mandrake 9.0 Dolphin
I've recently got an Compaq Pressario 705EA-notebook that is-, 256 RAM, 20GB
hard-disk Phoenix-bloody_bios, Conexant Softmodem(I finally got it to work),
and Via On Board Sound chip-it works out of the box. Only thing that drives
me nuts is that system gets stuck whenever I reboot it or halt it. The screen
just stays there and the only way to bring it down is to unplug it and take
the battery off. I know its the ACPI support which still is experimental as I
hear. I tried , after installing kernel-source RPM in /usr/src to rebuild the
kernel with ACPI support included. Two observations of mine: in /usr/src
there are two directories: linux (which has a kernel files allright and I
suppose represents the kernel installed) and 2.4.19-16mdk directory (which
also has kernel files in it. I tried in both directories at  no avail.
What I did: make oldconfig (to get the configuration of my running kernel) Is
that right or have I misunderstood it? Then, make dep, make modules( I saved
my modules directory before that) and finally make install. I got in both
times a kernel installed by the name 2416-16custom. In the first case I got
the message that the Kernel was too big and as a result it could boot. I had
to reinstall Lilo from the CD typing "rescue". In the second case it told me
that the ACPI modules were in but with modprobe it just told me it couldn't
find the kernel for which it was compiled for. What am I doing wrong?

Please help

Greetings to all of you

Dimitris Ioannou

Dimitris Ioannou.-This is a Microsoft Free PC!
Mandrake-Linux 9.0 Dolphin 2.4.19-16mdk kernel.
Registered Linux User 271321 http://counter.li.org