On Monday 14 October 2002 01:46 pm, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was just surfing the internet when I got a security alert, stating
> that I am broadcasting an IP address and that my PC could be getting
> unwanted visitors. I was directed to the following link:
>
> http://images.bonzi.com/fastclick/ia9b2.asp
>
> Is this a clever way to sell some product or is this for real. And if it
> is, should I worry being on Linux. I use Mozilla 0.9.8 on Madrake 8.1.
>
> For those who are going to recommend me to upgrade, don't worry. I'm
> going to get back to you soon for a full upgrade, questions about
> re-partitioning etc...
>
> Regards, Marco

I would be more concerned about what ports you have open.  If ran the set up
for your personal firewall, you have some basic protection already.  You can
go to http://www.grc.com and do a basic check of what ports you may have
open.  Its not as complete a check as some other sites (i.e.
http://www.hackerwhacker.com), but it is quick and gives you the some idea as
to how you stand on internet security.

You can followup by going into MCC and turning off any start up services you
don't need.

Barry