At 06:05 PM 10/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:
You can do all of it from the login prompt. When you have the prompt, login as
root. Keep in mind that you don't have X so you're automatically in console .

here's what I get:

localhost login: root
password: (pw entered)

[root@localhost root]#

(long list of lines, none of which mention hard drives, cd, burner or at least nothing that I recognize as such) followed by:

[root@localhost root]# dmesg (enter)

-bash: df-t: command not found

[root@localhost root]#

By the way, please tell me how to shut down from the root or local prompt without turning off the machine. I've tried "quit", "exit", "q" and a whole bunch of familiar shutdown hoepfuls, none of which work.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm either not understanding what you are suggesting and not following your advice correctly or something else is happening that isn't supposed to.

Thanks