Dark Lord, here's what my 'fstab' looks like in my 8.2 box, after disabling
supermount (the dots represent lines broken to fit within the margins of this
post):

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660....
.....iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev 0 0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy vfat....
.....iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,nosuid,user,noauto,nodev,codepage=850,unhide

.....0 0
/dev/sda4 /mnt/zip vfat....
.....iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,nosuid,user,noauto,nodev,codepage=850  0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Your comment on how you made a new icon and used 'floppy device' makes me
wonder why you did that instead of picking 'zip'. You must be using an
internal zip drive siince your installation sees it as an internal ATAPI zip.
The internals that I have seen come with an extra jumper settingthat allows
them to be seen by the BIOS as an ATAPI Floppy Drive. Were you looking to
maintain that 'look-n-feel' on your Desktop? Mine is an external through the
parallel port, so it shows up as a SCSI device. One thing that I just did
that wasn't done before I last posted was to check off permissions for
execute on the drive icon. That now makes one-click access without mounting
possible for the zip drive.

I checked the icon properties for the CD-ROM on the Desktop. 'exec' is
checked off for root, user and others, yet I cannot open a CD without first
mounting it. So, what makes a CD mount differently than a floppy or zip
drive? Can you tell by looking at my fstab, and if so, is there a change to
be made to make it so that I do not have to invoke the mount command, as with
the floppy and zip drives?