I downloaded the tar.bz2 file for qt-x11-free-3.0.6, configured,compiled
and installed it.  Works nicely.

One problem.  The INSTALL file indicated that I needed to create a
.profile in my user directory and add four lines defining PATH for it's
main directory, libs directory, etc. and then log out and back in for
the paths to be loaded.  I followed the instructions...didn't matter
whether the .profile was in the user home directory or the root home
directory....it didn't load the PATH as indicated.  As long as I typed
in the PATH lines individually (enter after each) and the typed in the
export command at the end (followed by enter), it worked fine.  However,
each time I log out, reboot, etc, I have to type in the PATH and export
commands again........aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhh!

Where can I add these commands so they become 'permanent' (at least
until I remove them) ??  Is this something that needs to be added to
/etc/profile.d ??

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
--
Erik

Linux User 288105

Bill who? Micro what?