I have been trying to get VNC functionality on a new, textbook install of ML
8.2.  I posted here before and with the wisdom of the group, I was
successful with TightVNC.  However, to earn the title "newbie" I did make
some mistakes during the install.

First, I installed it while while in the shell with root privledges.  I
would like to change that so it is under another account.  Secondly, I would
like to have this install in the software manager.

Questions:

Are there .cf files I can edit to change the user for VNC?
Where are they or how can I find them?
Should I setup a user account just for VNC logins?

These questions naturally bring up more.  When I login as root, I get a red
screen with a calendar-type icon and another icon in the upper right hand
corner of the screen and nothing else.  If I right click on the screen I get
a popup menu similar to the "K" button in the KDE Panel.  There is no panel
in the red screen.

I think root is starting with an x-window that is not KDE.  So far I have
seen 3 different x-window environments on this system: kde, the red one, and
one that has a "Linux" button when the system is not shut down properly.  I
would like to hear a little explaination on this if anyone has time.

To everyone who pointed me in the right direction: Thanks.  And thanks to
anyone who takes the time for this little epistle too!