Well I can't agree with your "or indeed should ever be" part, but gotta agree that
there are some people who haven't been converted to high speed access yet :).  Once
you go high speed you never go back lol.

Anyway, if no high speed access then simply order the disk sets from Cheapbytes.com

Mandrake sells for $6.99 and ships in 8-24 hours after your order.

http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010856.html?id=knUPnhXv

And you can still order the official box set and still wait on it after you already
have your disks from cheapbytes.  Win-win.

Anthony