Replies inline:

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 03:23, Antonio R. wrote:
> Hi again:
>
> OK, I’ve downloaded the ISO files from one of the mirrors of the Mandrake Linux
>site, and I checked the three files with the md5sum file and everything is OK. Then I
>burned the three files and restart my computer with the CD that has the first
>Mandrake Linux file and guess what?... My computer didn’t boot from the CD. I know
>that my computer can boot from a CD, but it doesn’t want to boot from a CD that has
>an ISO file.
>
> So, what do I have to do?
>
> The file has the name: Mandrake90-cd1-inst.i586.iso
>
> What do I have to do? Do I have to change the name? Do I have to change the
>extension? Do I have to buy a new computer? ☺

The ISO file is not burned to a CD the same way you would a data or
music file.  In your burning software, you will need to find the option
"burn from ISO" (or something similar) and then point the software to
each ISO file (one at a time).  When burned as an ISO (file type set to
ISO 9660, if there are other choices), the first CD should boot.

> Well, that’s the first question, now the second one.
>
> I have a HD with the following partition:
>
> C:\          File System: FAT32           Size: 15.5 GB       Free Space: 6.86 GB
> D:\          File System: NTFS            Size: 40.2 GB       Free Space: 19.8 GB
>
> OK, that is just one hard disk with two partitions :). I've read somewhere that I
>can't do a new partition in a NTFS file system because I'm going to loose all my
>information :( and I really don't want this to happen.
>
> So, can I do a partition JUST in the C:\ partition? I really don't understand how
>partitions work, but if I can do a new partition in the C:\ partition... Do I have
>enough space (Free Space: 6.68 GB) to do a partition for Mandrake?

Partition Magic will resize an NTFS partition without losing data,
provided that you have defragmented the drive first and that the new
partition is put at the end of the drive, AFTER the resized NTFS
partition.  A word of caution:  The remaining NTFS partition must be
larger than the total amount of data stored on the original partition
plus 25%.  To operate properly, an NTFS partition that also contains the
OS needs to have a minumum overhead of 25% to accommodate page-filing
(virtual memory/swap).(Example:  if you have 20GB used on an NTFS
partition, then the resized partition must be a minimum of 25GB for the
OS to operate properly.)

I used Partition Magic 7.x quite sucessfully when I set up an XP and
Mandrake dual boot machine.

You did not tell us how you plan to use Mandrake (replacement server;
just something to play with to see if you want to switch to it; a way to
learn a new OS....  so it's difficult to say how much disk space would
be adequate for your purpose.  However, linux will read, but not write
(safely) to an NTFS partition, so keep in mind that you need the FAT32
partition to hold data to be used by both OSes.

<snip>

HTH

--
Erik