On Friday 01 Nov 2002 5:01 pm, you wrote:

> You can find most logs in /var/log

I thought I had checked this, but now I've found the relevant lines:

Nov  1 10:13:12 anne-linux ups: upsmon shutdown succeeded
Nov  1 10:13:12 anne-linux ups: upslog shutdown succeeded
Nov  1 10:13:12 anne-linux ups: upsd shutdown succeeded
Nov  1 10:13:12 anne-linux ups: smartups shutdown failed

So now it looks as though I have installed most but not all of the relevant
modules.

> When you run mcc (mandrake control center) you can find the services that
> run in the services area of the "system" part of the program. There you can
> enable and disable things, also for boot.

I didn't find anything there about these ups modules.  I think for the moment
my best bet is to look for smartups in software manager  or package manager
and see if it thinks it is installed.

Thanks

Anne